Club History

To find out more, contact the Club Secretary Andrew on 07557 648 871
or e-mail

A Potted History

Ruddington Bowls Club formed in 1924 and was originally called Ruddington (Paget) Bowls Club; the land had been donated by the Paget family (Charles Paget was a local landowner, JP, High Sheriff and eventually Liberal MP for Nottingham). By 1927 there were 28 members, and the club was 3s.6d in the red at the 1928 AGM. The Birkin Cup for which we still compete, was first donated to the club by Sir Stanley Birkin in 1931 and by 1934 the Club moved to the present green in Elms Park, Ruddington (Sir Thomas Isaac Birkin owned the famous Birkin Lace Company in Nottingham). The club continued throughout World War II, with members maintaining the green themselves. In 1955, the wives of the members took over making the teas for home matches – women were not allowed to play until 1960! By September 1964, plans were afoot to build a pavilion, funded in part by loans of 10 shillings from members and it was subsequently extended, then re-roofed in 1986. 1991 was a very successful year for the club as we won the Portland Bowl, the Steel Trophy and for the third year running the Glover Trophy. We were runners up for the Corson Cup.

For a more detailed history of the Club click here.

2024 marks the club’s Centenary, a remarkable achievement for any sports club. It has survived through World War II and the Covid 19 pandemic. The green itself is owned by the Ruddington Parish Council and a ground rent is paid each year to them.  The Club has around 40 members of mixed ability and age, and we have a lot of fun. We have a Recruitment Day, usually in early May; look out for further information on social and local media, posters, and leaflets! Come along and have a try.